Monday, February 26, 2007

The lonely hearts club in Dallas

Well ladies and gentleman, I have officially joined the lonely hearts club in Dallas. Mainly because my parents are driving me a bit crazy and I have nothing to do on the weekends now. This weekend I was forunate enough to make some new friends with Swing Dancing on Sat night, some drinks at Happy Hour on a much needed Friday night, and today (well Sunday) dinner at my wonderful manager's house, which have I mentioned how absolutely wonderful he is? Me and Julie were talking the other day about him. I guess I have really never known what it felt like to enjoy my work, to like my job and to have fun while doing it. Michael has made me realize several things. One that there are still good people in the world that care and take care of their friends, no matter what circumstance they are in. Two that work can actually be fun, it doesn't always have to be the boring, monotonous ongoing thing, the thing you show up to to get a paycheck, punch a clock and that is it. Three, that they are truely some good men in the world besides my obvious husband that care about their families, struggle with the hard stuff and still somehow make it through on top. I am just constantly amazed by this man, by the effect he has had on my attitude, on my view of life. I often think of some of the things he has gone through and some of the challenges he has faced and overcome and I am truely amazed. Dumbfounded even that someone can go through so much and remain positive in attitude when his natural disposition is to be the opposite of positive. He gives me hope that I can get through it, strength that he and his wonderful wife will be there if I need them, and has asked for nothing in return. I didn't know that people still loved other people like this. I thought I was beginning to be one of the only ones. (Don't worry guys, there are those of you reading this that I know have been there for me and I love you for it!) I guess the best way to describe it is that all my life I have been looking for a mentor. Looking for someone I can look up to that is just a few more steps ahead of me in life that I can go to for guidance and help. I have prayed and prayed and I always thought it was in vain. That God was trying to tell me I wasn't important enough to deserve a mentor, that I was strong enough to do it on my own. And then, here, when I thought He had forgotten. When I felt like I was starting to fall into my dark hole again, He sends someone in my life and not just someone, but someone and his beautiful, smart, wonderful wife. Someone with more life experience then me, someone with similar views and interests, someone with similar struggles drops straight out of the sky when I had given up and they touch you. They walk straight out of no where and into your heart and you don't even know how to respond. Its like a swift kick in the face. And you don't know how to describe it or thank them or even really deal with it, you just know that they are amazing. They give you hope in what you believe in again. And you hope, no you pray, that maybe, just maybe you can be a fraction of as much of a blessing in their life as they have been in yours. That is what Michael and his wife Ebony are. A beacon that I never thought was possible. On that emotional, somewhat dramatic note, I will end this post. Those of you who know me know this is the best way I can give a compliment and Michael or Ebony, if you are reading this, I hope you know what a wonderful and ongoing blessing you have been in my life.

No comments: